Home Page

Club Calendar

Club Album

The BOATER Magazine 

Club Boat Gallery

The Bosun's Locker

Past Commodores List

The Thames Locks

TTBR Traditional 
Boat Festival

Club Admin Website

TVBC Club Notices


"Laying Up Lunch" at Holiday Inn London - Shepperton

Saturday 19th November 2022, 1pm

 

For our forthcoming social event we have booked a spacious private function room at the Holiday Inn, Felix Lane, Shepperton TW17 8NP. Please see below for further details about the venue.

 

Our guest speaker will be Colin Brown from the RNLI.  Colin’s presentation has been highly recommended to us!  It includes interesting videos and details about the new RNLI HQ at the Poole training centre. Colin will be accompanied by his colleague Hilary Poskett who will be selling RNLI products in aid of the charity. 

 

We will meet in the bar from 12.45pmonwards.

Dress code is smart casual.

A buffet lunch will be served in the function room at 1pm before Colin’s presentation.

 

To book your place(s), please email me honsec@thamesvintageboatclub.com or leave a message on my Answerphone (01932 560981).  Please book no later than Sunday 16th October. This is the deadline the hotel has set for us to advise them of our final numbers.

 

When booking, please advise if you or a member of your party have dietary requirements.

 

I will email or ring you to confirm that I have received your order.  

 

If you don’t receive a reply from me, please assume I did not receive your order and contact me again before Sunday 16th October.

 

Please note, for safety there is a maximum limit of 40 guests that the hotel says can be accommodated in the function room we’ve booked.  I anticipate that demand for places will be high so please place your orders as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.   

 

     The cost is £20 per head. This must be paid in advance when booking your places, preferably

 

·                     by BACS:  40-38-04    31380656    reference: LULNOV 22   

      or

·                     by cheque (payable to Thames Vintage Boat Club, not TVBC) and sent to me at

12 Ferndale Avenue, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 9RB

 

Please note it will not be possible to process payments during the event as the club has to pay the full amount a month in advance.

 

 Address: Holiday Inn Shepperton - Felix Lane, Shepperton, TW17 8NP

 

Location and parking

 There is ample parking at the rear of the hotel.

Parking is free provided you type your car registration number on the screen in reception.     

 

Further details can be found here: https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/gb/en/shepperton/lonsh/hoteldetail 

 


AGM Minutes 2022

Venue:  Holiday Inn, Shepperton    Date:  Saturday 9th April 2022

 

 The AGM commenced at 14:45 following a sit-down lunch.  

 

Attendees   

 Dilly Bil, Steve Bil, Lisa  Bramwell, Philip Bramwell, Pam Chart, Phillip Chart, David Cherrett, Geoff Chiverton, Sally Chiverton, Michael Dennett, Heather Farrell, Ryan Farrell, Carol Haler, David Knight, Alain Lamens, Jeannine Llewellyn, John Llewellyn, Ben Ludford, Barbara Lyne, Charles Lyne, Adrian Mettem, Christine Mettem, Liz Newlands, Michael Novak, Jane Percival, Mike Phillips, Moira Phillips, Patrick Prince, Christopher Robinson,  Peter Scrutton, Theresa Scrutton, Malcolm Thomas, Sheila Thomas, Caitlyn-Scarlett Walsby, Trevor Westoll, Marilyn Westoll.

Apologies received

 Roger Boyland, Matt Cain, Chris Church, Guy Cook, Colin Dimbylow, Di Everett, Toby Everett, Neil Garside, Ian Gilbert, Karina Gilbert, Barton Guthrie, Jenni Haile, Roger Haile, Jez Hermer, Bill Hewitt, Mags Hewitt, Christine Jackson, Jim Jackson, Malcolm Jones, David Lister, Adrian Lockwood, Kate Lockwood, Peter Makower, Janine Marshall, Hester Mattock, Robert Mattock, Simon McMurtrie, David Morris, Gail Noon, Paul Noon, Carol Reed, Martin Reed, Charles Payton, Brian Smethurst, Carolyn Smethurst, Adrian Smith, Helen Vale, Mark Vale, Mark Webb, Sam Webb, Penny Webb, Ed White

Welcome

On behalf of the Committee Theresa welcomed everyone to the meeting and displayed the above Apologies on the PowerPoint presentation.

 
Minutes of the 2020 AGM

 
The minutes of the 2020 AGM held on Saturday 14th March 2020 at Thames Court Shepperton were approved by a show of hands by the members present at the 2022 AGM.  

Commodore’s Report  

Having taken the unusual step of completing a third year as your Commodore, and about to start a FOURTH (!!), due to the 2020 non-event, something I believe is unique in TVBC history, though others have done second stints, including Grant Kinnaird some years ago, and more recently our esteemed "Boater" Editor, Jane Percival, it gives me enormous pleasure to continue in the role until next year, when you are finally rid of me !


As always, the Club couldn't run without the dedicated efforts of your Committee, and fortunately we have been able to run a full, if slightly jumbled, Calendar over this last year, with good attendances at most events, though some were more tentative waterborne ones, we were a little thin on attendance at Hurley last year I think, with levels of Covid varying and improving with vaccination regimes taking effect.
The "slightly jumbled"  theme continues to some extent this coming season, but we can look forward to a full Calendar once again, so you are warmly encouraged to join us, after studying the Calendar and putting the events in your diaries, and on your kitchen calendars....my "Eric the Penguin" kitchen calendar is the "brains" behind my life organisation.....and a longstanding family Christmas Tradition, with my sister benefitting from "Simon's Cat" calendars over the years!

So now I must extend my gratitude and thanks to our President, John Llewellyn for his steady and knowledgeable advice, "from the top"; to David Lister again as Vice Commodore for his common sense approach to issues, Jane Percival for her hard work as Rear Commodore and "Boater" Editor, despite having moved down to Portsmouth to set up and run the busy Arthur Beale Chandlery business within the Historic Dockyard, with more exciting challenges to come from within the Company; our esteemed and amazingly organised Hon Sec Theresa Scrutton, keeping us informed and setting up events and Calendar, despite being Head of Music and running two orchestras and concerts at Sir William Perkins’s School in Chertsey; Peter Scrutton continues to keep a careful eye on our finances, and keeps us in a position to run subsidised or free events, while maintaining a healthy Bank Balance, as well as sharing Membership Secretary duties with Theresa; committee members Pam and Phillip Chart, who are our "Intelligence Eye " on all things Thames with their involvement at the ATYC and EA Committees. Thanks too, go to Mike Phillips as our busy Webmaster, Facebook site manager and Deputy "Boater" Editor, whose input provides our excellent communications network, not forgetting the solid input  from David Knight who has many valuable connections with his CMBA duties and American connections, and finally Hannah, now converted from a Bramwell into a Farrell since marrying Ryan mid last year, and is now expecting a new crew member for "St. JOAN" in the not too distant future.....Someone to keep an eye on the ship's Labrador, Hank, and handle ropes in years to come.

Once again, my thanks to all your Committee for their amazing support in keeping the Club moving inexorably forwards, to produce warm and friendly events for you, our Membership, and the professional quality magazine to entertain our downtime, our Facebook site for interaction online and our Website for information on who's who and what's what regarding the Club.
 
I can, in conclusion only encourage you All to get involved and meet up with so many like-minded and friendly Classic Boaters to make cruising Old Father Thames a unique pleasure and social occasion with good food an integral part of the show.
Here's to a fabulous Boating season in 2022!

                                                                                                                                                   Patrick Prince 


Honorary Secretary ’s Report
 

I’m here to talk about this year’s Calendar. It was with great sadness when I read the Minutes of the 2020 AGM and saw what should have been, the Calendar we should have had – it was a year that never existed. For 2021, we started to put into place some of our new ideas that the Committee had been discussing and these have followed through to this year’s Calendar. We have several rallies planned, some of them in their usual position in the calendar, and some in a different place, partly because of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. In June Mike is running a rally in Hedsor Water during the Jubilee weekend and Patrick a rally in Hurley at the end of June. Do support these rallies – we would love to see as many members attend in their boats as possible, or by car. After the Trad Boat Festival, which we’ll all be going to I should imagine, there will be a rally at Hedsor Water for those of us coming back downstream; do come along to that, you wouldn’t be expected to stay for all five days, just come for a day or two. In August we’ve got the Boveney rally, not in its usual position at the beginning of the month but later during the August bank holiday weekend. In September there’s the Classic Boat Festival at St. Kats; we don’t organise this but we’re expecting some of our boats will attend, and the Jubilee Reflections Flotilla which we hope some of us will be taking part in too.    The ATYC AGM via Zoom is taking place later this month (April).  I’ll be sending out details again to the members with the agenda. They do need our support as they represent us. They are looking for a new Chairman and Secretary – the rest of the committee intend to stand again.  The TVBC is an affiliated member of the ATYC – do show your support by tuning into their AGM.  We haven’t yet worked out what we’re doing for the Laying Up supper in November and Christmas Party in December – this is ‘’work in progress’’ and will be discussed further when the Committee meet again after this AGM. Finally, we are again supporting ‘Moments on the River’, a boat moored at Shepperton Marina which is part of Momentum, a local charity for children with life-threatening illnesses. Please dig deep into your pockets when you see the collection bucket at our events.

Theresa Scrutton
 

Honorary Treasurer’s Report

As the club did not hold an AGM in 2021 covering the year to December2020 I will briefly discuss 2020 and 2021.
In 2020, the club’s expenditure was significantly reduced as it was not possible to hold any events other than the Skittles in February and the AGM in March which we just squeezed in before the lockdown started.  Therefore, because the income from members’ subscriptions had remained stable and revenue from advertising in The Boater had increased, the balance at the end of the year increased to just over £22,000.The main costs were for printing The Boater magazine and buying enamelled boat plaques which I eventually sourced from a factory in China after being unable to find a source in the UK or Europe.  The plaques eventually cost $10 each plus VAT and a small amount of import duty.  The AGM was subsidised by the club, the £56 expenses mentioned in the accounts was for the engraving of the award trophies.2021 saw the resumption of rallies and events and so the accounts are more representative of a typical year.The costs of The Boater were higher because of the greater number of pages and higher postage costs, our printers, Aquatint remain very good value and produce a high-quality product from content expertly prepared by Jane and Mike.The cost of Rallies amounted to a total of £577.34, this includes the cost of the hospitality provided by David Lister at Henley.  The Boveney rally had limited facilities and we were not charged by the lock keeper, Theresa and I gave her a couple of bottles of wine on our way back, hence charge of £20.Just over £1300 was spent on more plaques and a batch of Burgees, both should last for a few seasons.Whilst we are able to buy plaques in bulk at a good price, obtaining individual ones when members lose theirs is not so easy.  Therefore, if any member wishes to obtain a new plaque for their boat we will start a list and when there are sufficient numbers we will place an order.Turning to subscriptions, there are still about 25 members outstanding this year and I will be sending out reminders to those who have not yet paid. 

Peter Scrutton 

Membership Secretaries’ Report

 The statistics of new members and/or boats covering two years from the previous AGM on Saturday 14th March 2020 to April 2022 were displayed on the screen under the following categories:

18 new member TVBC boats and 24 owners/new members:

3 TVET: CASABLANCA
TVET 151 – Christopher Robinson

              GAY VENTURE ADLS TVET 149 – Heather Dennett

              MOONRAKER ADLS TVET 150 – Richard Winton Taylor

2 TVIN: ESOX XI TVIN 158 – Andy Rankin

              CAREFREE
TVIN 159 – Debbie Russell

7 NVET: ANNANETTA NVET 155 – Peter and Emma Langworthy

               LADY CHRISTINA
NVET 153 – Adam and Katie Hilton

               LAVINIA B NVET 157 – Trevor Westoll and David Cherrett

               MARGO II ADLS NVET 156 David and Susan Knight

               MARY IRENE ADLS NVET 152 Tony Woollard,

               NEPTUNE NVET 151 – Nicholas Winkfield

               TOPE
NVET 154 – Sam Webb

6 NVIN: JUDITH II NVIN 155 – Robert Mattock

               LITTLE FLAGSHIP
NVIN 154 – Chris Church

               LOTUS ROSE NVIN 153 – Roland Phillips and Lynne Jones

               MUGUETU WUAME NVIN 151 – Nick Patrick

               TI-GER-LU III NVIN 150 – Anthony Johns

               ZEPHYR NVIN 152 – Geoff and Sally Chiverton

 10 TVBC boats already on the database, new owners/new members to the club:

RAZORBILL TVET 147                              Jez Hermer

PATENTIA EST VIRTUS TVET 129          Nigel Banks & Ian Ruffell

WISE FOLLY TVET 001                            Michael and Haylee Bowsher

LITTLE ANN II NVIN 134                         Adrian and Kate Lockwood

CRISTOBEL II TVIN 160                           Paul and Gail Noon

PERRAPIN NVIN 103                               Robert Beale and Cynthia Plag

JANET TVIN 145                                       Stephen Robson

VIOLA 9H NVET 122                                Hugh and Jane McGarel-Groves

PERDITA TVET 125                                  Mark and Isabel Holdaway

GREYHOUND TVIN 012                          Rory and Lindsay Hunt

(formerly HENNERTON QUEEN)                                  

 It’s lovely that we’re still in contact with these boats. If you ever sell your boat, please encourage her new owner to join the club; besides having new ‘human members’ in the club, it’s also great to know what’s happening to our ‘boat members’ because they are part of our family of boats; once they’ve in the club they always remain members of the club. 

 TVBC member has bought an existing TVBC boat: GRAY LADY NVIN 041 - David Knight

 TVBC member introduces a new boat to the club: MB 278 ADLS NVET 158 - Michael Dennett 

 Returning club member and club boat: TAGGS NVET 046 - Dickie Beach

 6 new Associate members:

Mick Gentry

Andy Hill

Douglas and Carole Mancini

David and Kenna Worthington

 I’ve been gradually updating details about boats in the boat database. Mike gave me the 2014 commentary from the Trad Rally to work with, but, of course, 2014 is a long time ago now, so there will have been lots of changes to some boats between then and now. I will be inviting members to send me updated details about their boats e.g., a new engine, an amazing, adventurous cruise, restoration details, anything interesting pertaining to their boat, so future owners will have this information about the history of their boat. It would be great to get as many boats as possible updated so anyone viewing the website can see these updates were made recently this decade. This is our mission as joint Membership Secretaries to help the Archivist in keeping the boat database up to date.

 Theresa Scrutton

 Boater Editor’s Report

It’s now eight years since I took over from John as Boater Editor - doesn’t time fly when you’re enjoying yourself!

It’s still a privilege to be custodian of this very important asset of the TVBC; there are very few clubs that keep a magazine going constantly. We reduced the publication to three editions per year which has made it both more manageable for myself and Deputy Editor Mike Phillips and it’s more cost effective. At this point I must applaud the professional standard of presentation Mike achieves in the compilation of The Boater.

Happily, with the support from our increasing number of Advertisers much of the costs are now covered, but it still remains a major expenditure, so my job is to ensure you are receiving value for your subs.

The Club Magazine is here to reinforce the aims of the TVBC. It gives us the opportunity to look back on our illustrious past as well as look forward to a very exciting future - rescuing, restoring and enjoying classic boats -and as we know, it’s not just about the restoration, it’s then about the preservation once we’ve got these boats into really wonderful condition.

It enables us to stay connected with members further afield and promotes the social aspect of the club. We can highlight our thriving Boatyards, Engineers, Trimmers etc. for which our membership provides a huge source of income. We can do something for others by continuing to nominate and support a boating charity. Since we’ve been supporting charities, we’ve raised thousands of pounds over the last 20 years. We’ve given lots of money towards the upkeep of Momentum’s narrowboat.
John, who edited The Boater for 16 years has written at least 33 very well-researched historical articles about our boatyards on the Thames, which is a really important part of our archive.


Last, but not least, The Boater serves to entertain you and inform you. Whenever I’m planning an edition, I try to think of new things to put in, but I’m always open to your own ideas – for example if you want us to run a series on something specific - please do get in touch with myself or Mike. As always, feel free to send me your contributions and ideas for future editions.

Jane Percival

 Webmaster, Facebook, Archivist and Deputy Editor’s report

Here is our public web site (displayed on screen). I have been its Webmaster now for just over 30 years. The streaming photo display at the top of our website now has well over 100 photos of club boats and activities over the years so you might like to sit back one day and play it all the way through just for a history lesson! It also gives a very thorough insight to anybody interested in joining the club. The club Calendar page is kept up to date, and new news is posted on the Club Notices page. Recently I completed a project at the request of our founder Robin Newlands, which was to have a page on the website listing all the past TVBC Commodores right back to the beginning in 1983 when the club started. Robin had done the early listings himself and had also included lists of Secretary, Treasurer, and Boater Editor. You will find the finished table on the website via its new menu entry. Part of it is shown on this slide. The web site itself is due for an overhaul as some parts are sadly out of date, and I plan to start on that once the new Boater mag is finished. I am also working on a longer-term project to create a new site menu with many more items, using up-to-date website code.

Facebook page  

Our TVBC Facebook page is steadily gathering club members and other enthusiasts and now has 325 followers. I screen all applications for entry and only keep those who either have a vintage boat or are a genuine enthusiast of traditional boating. I do hope you will visit it if you haven’t already and do feel free to post appropriate content any time you wish. It is also a resource if you need some advice on any issues you might have with your boat or boating. There are many experienced and professional people on board very willing to help. Another of its functions is as a news source for club events, and Thames’ news in general.

Archivist

My role as Archivist very much involves management of our large digital database, which is in fact the “detailed register of boats as an historical record” as required by Item 2 of the Aims of the club. It is very much a never-ending project and is being constantly updated with new entries by the membership officers and it is generally maintained by me, including adding photos and adding and correcting data plus looking for missing data – our records are far from complete. We do rely on you the members to write in and tell us whenever you make major changes to your boats. All club members have full access to the database of boats and I’m sure you remember the password which is the name of the road where Peter and Theresa live but please don’t tell anyone! The login is TVBC all in lowercase. Do drop in and have a look at the entry for your boat, and please send any required amendments or additions and any new photos of your boat to our membership officers, Peter and Theresa.

Recently the committee were discussing the idea of presenting some kind of recognition awards, to not only our founding members, (those of them who are still with us), but also to all of you loyal members who have been members for 10, 20 or 30 years or more (34 years for Moira and I). However, we ran into a problem when I discovered that for the early club members before number 308, or who joined before 1995, we have no record of the date they joined. Joining dates were apparently never recorded before then. However, we believe that by going through all the old Boater magazines we can fill in most of those missing joining dates and continue with the project. How many of you joined before 1995? Can I ask you to help us out and come forward after the meeting and fill in the date you joined the club, month and year, or even just the year, on the sheet I will leave on the table. Thank you. So hopefully you will be hearing more about this scheme in the coming months.

Deputy Boater Editor

Jane has just talked about her role as Editor of The Boater magazine, and I am the deputy Boater editor, or you might call it Production Editor. If I’m honest, putting all Jane’s excellent content together, much of it written by you the members, editing all the photos and preparing the layout for printing is probably one of my favourite pastimes. As an ex-professional photographer, I have a “thing” about photo quality and I spend a lot of time on the pictures. I get a real buzz when the printer’s proof arrives each time, prior to the full print run! Jane is brilliant in the way she manages to collect up all the content for each issue, and that is what makes the magazine as good as it is. I think with issue 144 we are now on our 17th issue together, and we do hope that you read and enjoy your copy. Our maximum size now is 60 pages including the covers, and we regularly fill it up to that size. Aquatint, our printers, have been doing the magazine for several decades now and are quite missionary about the quality. They go to a lot of trouble to make it look good and professional. It was originally produced on a photocopier, just a few pages, back in the day, but is now printed on a state-of-the-art digital press. We are currently finishing off issue 144, which is due out at the end of April. I think you will like it! Thank you.

Mike Phillips

There then followed the formal election of the 2022-2023 Committee. This was done by a show of hands en-bloc. 

The following were elected for the 3rd year of the three-year cycle having been approved by a show of hands from the floor. Jane Percival has agreed to be Rear Commodore for a third year.  If anyone is co-opted onto the committee during the year, they have the opportunity of taking on this role in 2023. 2019 was the first year of the cycle, 2021, the second. It was agreed that due to the pandemic 2020 would not count as one of the three years.

 

EX OFFICIO MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE – 3rd year of three-year cycle

PRESIDENT: John Llewellyn

FLAG OFFICERS

COMMODORE

Patrick Prince

VICE COMMODORE

David Lister MBE

REAR COMMODORE

Standing in for a third year

Jane Percival

HONORARY SECRETARY

Theresa Scrutton

HONORARY TREASURER

Peter Scrutton

MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY

(joint)

Theresa Scrutton

Peter Scrutton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


The Committee of Management were all re-elected en bloc by the floor at the AGM:

 

The COMMITTEE of MANAGEMENT

Webmaster/Facebook

Deputy Editor

Archivist

Mike Phillips

Boater Editor

Jane Percival

 

Pam Chart

 

Phillip Chart

 

Hannah Farrell

 

David Knight

 

There are currently four vacancies on the Committee. If anyone would like to be co-opted onto the Committee, please contact the Secretary.

 

AOB: there were no submissions this year.

 

The AGM ended at 15:30.

 

Annual Awards 2021

The Annual Awards for 2021 were presented by the Commodore, Patrick Prince.

 

The John Mauger Trophy for “Best Amateur Restoration”: Ben Ludford - ‘ETOILE DE PARIS’ 

Boat Handling Trophy for “Most skilful boat handling” in 2021: Hannah Farrell - ‘ST. JOAN’

Illuminated Cruise Trophy: “Best TVBC presentation in the Trad Festival 2021’’Nigel Hughes - ‘SHACKLETON’ (unable to attend this afternoon)
Best new TVBC boat at the Traditional Festival: ‘CASABLANCA’ owned by Christopher Robinson

 The Silver Salver for the best TVBC boat of the year:  ‘BREDA’ owned by Alain Lamens and Michael Novak

 Mike Phillips was presented with "The Boater trophy" for his contribution to the club. Mike was unable to attend the AGM in 2020 to receive it. Although he was presented with the trophy during last year’s rally at Hedsor Water, we thought it would be fitting for him to receive it during a formal event. Mike is the final recipient of this trophy and has won this trophy three times. The trophy is to be replaced by the following:

 The Robin Newlands trophy

 The President of The Thames Vintage Boat Club, John Llewellyn, introduced the new Robin Newlands trophy for ‘’Outstanding Contribution to the Club’’. It was designed by John in consultation with Liz Newlands and the varnished wooden mounting was made by Colin Messer.

 In memory of Robin Newlands, co- founder and the first President of the TVBC, this trophy will be presented annually to someone who has done something outstanding for the club during that year or who has worked throughout the year on behalf of the club. John explained that it contains a plaque of Robin’s boat WISE FOLLY TVET 001, the first member boat of the club. John thanked Liz Newlands for ensuring that the plaque contains the correct outline of WISE FOLLY and Colin Messer for the fine woodwork for the trophy.

 Carol and Martin Reed will be the first recipients of the Robin Newlands trophy.   

 The Commodore, Patrick Prince, formally closed the meeting at 15:48.

                                                                                                                                             Theresa Scrutton, Honorary Secretary
11th April 2022

 

The 2022 TVBC Annual General Meeting 9th April

Dear Members

The Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the TVBC will be taking place at 2.30pm on Saturday 9th April 2022 at the newly refurbished Holiday Inn, Felix Lane, Shepperton TW17 8NP

Before the formal AGM there will be a lunch at 1pm for members who wish to attend this separate function.  

If you would like to eat before the AGM, please let me know by email  (honsec@thamesvintageboatclub.com)  immediately as I need to give the manager  advance notice of the numbers requiring food.    


The two-course meal will consist of the following:

Main - Roast pork loin, roast potatoes, veg and gravy

Dessert – Apple Crumble and Custard

 A vegetarian option will be available.

 

The cost per person will be £20 which must be paid in advance by cheque (payable to Thames Vintage Boat Club) and sent to the Treasurer at 12 Ferndale Avenue, Chertsey, Surrey, KT16 9RB

or, preferably, by BACS:   40-38-04   31380656   Reference: AGMlunch2022

If you have any dietary requirements or food allergies or intolerances, please let me know so that I can advise the catering staff at Holiday Inn. 

Best wishes

Theresa (HonSec)
Note: There is ample parking and it is free to attendees.

 


Agenda for the 2022 AGM

Welcome & Apologies Received                                                        2.30

 

The Minutes from the 2020 AGM                                                      2.32

 

Commodore’s Report                                                                          2.34      

 

Hon. Secretary’s Report                                                                      2.44     

 

Hon. Treasurer’s Report                                                                      2.46

 

Membership Secretary’s Report                                                         2.48

Webmaster and Archivist                                                                    2.50

                                                                                  

Election of Committee (en-bloc)                                                         2.54

 

AOB   (Any Other Business)

 

(AOB items must be submitted to the Hon Secretary no later than fourteen days before the date of the AGM)

 

 

After the formalities, there will then follow the presentation of the

Thames Vintage Boat Club Annual Awards for 2021

 

Please note:

The AGM is the cut-off date for all Membership subs.

If you have not yet paid your Annual subscription, Peter Scrutton, our Hon. Treasurer, will be happy to receive your payment this afternoon.

If you miss it, you will have to pay the £15 re-joining fee.

Fees are Full Member: £30   Associate Member: £20.

 

Theresa Scrutton Hon. Secretary TVBC


          

Committee Meeting Minutes – Saturday 29th January 2022

  
Those present
:

   Pam Chart, Phillip Chart, David Lister, John Llewellyn, Jane Percival, Patrick Prince, Peter Scrutton, Theresa Scrutton

 

   Apologies:  Hannah Farrell, David Knight, Mike Phillips

   

   Minutes of the previous meeting held on 02/10/2021

These were approved.   

 

 

Feedback on recent past events and considerations  

 

a)      Laying Up Supper at Holiday Inn Shepperton on Saturday 20th November 2021

What we needed! It was a super venue and Celia gave a highly entertaining talk about Eel Pie Island.  

   

 Forthcoming events and considerations

 

a)      AGM and Awards on Saturday 9th April at Holiday Inn

Theresa will email a draft of the agenda first to the committee.  

The event will consist of two sections:

1.      Social gathering with sit down two-course meal followed by tea and coffee 1pm – 2.30pm

2.      The formal AGM and Awards 2.30pm-c4pm 

 

We decided on the two-course meal:

Main: Roast pork loin with roasted potatoes, veg and gravy  

A vegetarian option will be available

Dessert: Apple Crumble and Custard

 

Re the Annual Awards: we decided on some of the awards.  Theresa will email the list out to the committee as there are some awards still to consider.

 

David L won’t be able to attend the occasion.   

 

b)     The new trophy to commemorate Robin Newlands

John showed us the design – 3 silver plaques mounted on varnished mahogany with a support at the back (like a photo).  The top plaque will be an engraved side view of ‘Wise Folly’ as she was originally.  John and Liz Newlands found two photos of her to work on the outline. John received two estimates for the cost of the silver plaques.  First quote, for pure silver and engraving: £400; 2nd quote for composite silver plus free hand engraving to judge if it’s what we want: £100.   We agreed the second quote.

The Newlands trophy will replace the Boater Trophy for Best Contribution to the Club. 

 

c)      Skittles lunch on Saturday 19th February

8 have signed up so far (by 29 Jan).  The event may have to be postponed if a minimum of 12 isn’t reached to cover the cost of doing this, the hire of the alley etc.  The maximum was 40, which was then reduced to 30, to give more space.

Theresa will email a reminder to the members.  

 

d)     2022 calendar update

Hurley rally – Patrick to speak to Giles and check out ‘The Rising Sun’ and work out the date from his other commitments in June.

Boveney rally - Mike to book the moorings.

Hedsor rally – May Day Bank Holiday weekend? August Bank Holiday? To be discussed further.  We thought Hedsor was too remote for the Jubilee celebration.

 

There was a lengthy discussion about commemorating the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee in Windsor in early June. Jane is waiting for the Leisure Centre to confirm whether moorings can be booked for our club boats. 

 

e)      The future of the ATYC

Pam advised that Tony Riley is standing down as Chair and some other committee members are resigning.  It is a time-consuming, onerous job.  The 42 clubs aren’t generating volunteers for the ATYC committee, and some clubs aren’t responding to ATYC messages. It only costs £30 a year per club to be an affiliated member – perhaps this is not a high enough subscription to reflect the significance of the ATYC.  What used to be popular events, the spring Dinner and Dance and the August Bank Holiday rally, have not been happening due to Covid and dwindling numbers interested.  The new CRT Harbour Master is being difficult about the West India Dock rally (this is always a great weekend). Pam advised that we may know this weekend what the decision is about the rally.     

Many clubs are cancelling events due to lack of support (Covid has had a huge impact) and like the ATYC are finding it difficult to attract members onto their committees.

 

f)       Mooring pontoons at the Trad Festival

We agreed we would rather pay extra to get suitable pontoons for the boats.  Metal pontoons are a problem, and damage was sustained to one of our low freeboard club boats which struggled with the wash from passing boats last Summer. We agreed that a polite letter should be sent to Cliff to request safer pontoons for our boats.   Patrick will write to Cliff and send photos that David L has taken of a more suitable edging to the pontoon.  

 

Membership Secretaries’ report

a)      New members since the meeting last October

Judith II and Little Flagship – respectively 1953 and 1954 Broads cruisers

Returning TVBC member 238 and TVBC boat ‘Taggs’, owned by member 238 since 1968.

b)      Pennant burgees update

We have lots of new small and large pennant burgees.  Theresa has given a large one to Pam to display in RYC clubhouse with other boat club burgees.

 

Treasurer’s report

a)      The current account balance: 

On 31 Dec 2021: £23125 

On 29 Jan 2022: £26533

 

b)     Status of membership payments, lapsed memberships, resignations

All standing orders are paid; just waiting for those who pay annually.  Peter will send a reminder shortly to them. There are no lapsed members at the moment. 

 

Boater Editor’s report

Lots of material is available for Issue 144 and there are more advertisers which is generating a revenue of about £502. In Issue 143 there were some first-time advertisers e.g.  Arthur Beale.   There will be a feature by Bossoms Boatyard of Binsey, Oxford.   

Issue 143 will be on display at the Eel Pie Island Museum as it contains the article about our social evening in November 2021 with the talk given by Celia from the museum.

Jane requested that new advertisers get a copy of The Boater, even if just once.    

 

(Archivist/Deputy Editor report)

Mike was unable to attend. Theresa read out his suggestions about the calendar events during our discussions above.  

 

(Webmaster’s report) 

 

AOB

The new owner of ‘Old Jolly’ has discovered dry rot; major renovations are being undertaken.

‘Gray Lady’ has been bought by David Knight and is being restored by Classic Restoration Services.

 

 

The meeting concluded at 16:15.

 

 

Date of the next meeting: Saturday 23rd April 2022

12.30pm start

Theresa Scrutton

Hon Secretary

3 February 2022

 


 

Committee Meeting Minutes – Saturday 2nd October 2021

Those present:

   Pam Chart, Phillip Chart, Hannah Farrell, John Llewellyn, Mike Phillips (via Skype), Patrick Prince, Peter Scrutton, Theresa Scrutton,

 

   Apologies:  David Lister, Jane Percival, David Knight

   

   Minutes of the previous meeting held on 26/02/2020

These were approved.   

 

 Feedback on recent past events and considerations  

  a)      Hedsor, Hurley and Boveney rallies

Hedsor Water/Cookham was a great weekend– we all agreed it’s a lovely mooring. Several ADLS craft who are also TVBC boats attended, and we gained one new member Margo II ADLS who joined us about a month later. Hedsor has proved to be an excellent alternative for Cookham Island where it’s becoming increasingly difficult to moor several boats.  It was suggested that ADLS member boats are invited to join us again next year.  Hedsor rally will again take place in the May Bank Holiday weekend in 2022.

 

Hurley was on the lower moorings this year. 6-7 boats can safely be accommodated in the lower mooring. However, PP says it’s nicer to have the upper mooring as the lower moorings are more public.   Elizabeth and Marco of ’The Rising Sun’ are moving on to new pastures.  The ‘Old Bell’ in the village might be an alternative if ‘The Rising Sun’ can’t accommodate us at the next rally – Patrick will investigate nearer the time. 

We need to go back to the usual time in our calendar year for the Hurley rally. 

 

Boveney proved to be popular with the members despite the uncut grass.  

 

The ATYC rally in the August Bank Holiday weekend will hopefully be at West India Dock in 2022.  We will encourage TVBC members to attend.

 

The Commodore of Penton Hook suggested a TVBC rally at the Marina. This might take the place of one of the above rallies.    

 

b)     Trad Boat Festival (August Bank Holiday 2021)

We all agreed that the Festival was overall a great success and praised the committee for all their hard work in ensuing it went ahead this year despite many difficulties they had to overcome.   JL had written a thank you and congratulations letter to the Festival Committee and received an appreciative reply from Adam Toop.

On request JP had sent feedback to Lady Judy McAlpine who responded with answers; TS read out the feedback and responses in the meeting. (See appendix below for full details). 

 

The food at the Crooked Billet was very good but was the same every evening which did not give enough choice for those that attended all four evenings if they only liked one or two things on the set menu,

We all agreed that next year, given the opportunity, we will have a club evening at Leander.  We feel we bring enough visitors to the festival and by organising our own event on one evening for about 30 members, it will not adversely affect the takings of the Crooked Billet.  Considering the understaffing of the pub, it would have helped them to cater for the large numbers if we had organised our own gathering elsewhere.  

 

Some of us thought the tables at the Crooked Billet were not well organised. H stated that the ADLS had to go and look for chairs for their tables on Friday evening. There were not enough tables – people were sitting together who have never met before and were not part of the same club which matters if the club has requested space to meet together.

There was no dedicated waiter for the TVBC group on Sunday evening. 

Everyone enjoyed the music in the pub tent.

 

HF would have liked ‘St Joan’ to have been closer to the TVBC so she could have discussed the TVBC with the public.  The lengths of boats and variable depths of water along the riverbank is a factor, however, in determining where boats are sited.  This may be something to discuss with Cliff.

 

For the 2022 Festival we must remember to take some stakes for the banner that is displayed in front of the boats.

 

We enjoyed the TVBC social meeting and drinks outside ‘Lady Genevieve’ on Saturday. This proved to be very popular with our members and is something we would like to do again next year provided the weather is fine.  Thanks to David L for organising the drinks.

   

Re a club tent: many of us agreed with JP that one large tent to accommodate all clubs would work well.

The logistics of running our own tent were discussed. It depends on just a tiny number of volunteers to do so, at the expense of seeing the Festival themselves. There is also the logistics of getting the display material, tables, chairs etc. to the field – no-one was available to co-ordinate it this year.

JL said he would be happy to man a tent throughout the Festival and take a lightweight amount of display material to the Festival in his car.

 

We discussed the suitability of our existing display material which is bulky to transport and requires not only a ‘man with a van’ but also a member of the committee to oversee the loading and unloading at both ends. HF will investigate alternative display boards and pop-up banners. Apart from the banner running along the bank in front of the TVBC cruisers, there is nothing to explain these boats to visitors strolling along.  HF suggested two or three TVBC boats were featured each year in perspex display boards, along the lines of what we see at the St Kat’s rally, which can be displayed in front of the moored boats (there would need to be communication with Cliff Colborne to ensure these boats are on the bank). A library of laminated A3 information posters of TVBC boats could be gradually built up and interchanged in the Perspex display boards.   

 

Concerns about the metal pontoons have been expressed by one of our new members whose boat was damaged whilst moored up to a metal pontoon – he was not advised or expected to have to be equipped with enough spare fenders to protect his boat. We agreed that we will ask the festival organisers to advise skippers to bring extra fendering just in case they are allocated a metal pontoon to moor to. As a club we can advise our members too.

 

 Forthcoming events and considerations

 

a)      Laying Up Supper/November social evening

The Holiday Inn Shepperton has been extensively refurbished. Pam. Phillip, Peter and Theresa were given a guided tour of the function rooms when we had a meal at the venue. We were very impressed with them.   

Pam rang up for details: a two or three course afternoon lunch e.g.,for our AGM would cost about £19.50/£25 respectively per head. 

For a social/laying up event a buffet could be provided.  The room hire would cost £100. Pam knows an interesting speaker, Celia from Twickenham Museum, who has a repertoire of several illustrated talks e.g.  ‘A Slice of Eel Pie’.  She would charge £50 + travel costs and provide a digital flyer to advertise.

Pam will investigate availability of dates in November for the social and try and book for either (in this order) Saturday afternoon, Saturday evening, Friday evening or Thursday evening. She will also enquire about dates for the AGM in March.  

 

b)     Christmas party

We agreed Sunday lunchtime 12th December at RYC. Everyone brings a plate as is customary.

PP suggested that we invite the Voci Chamber Choir – TS will ask Sue if that’s possible.

Mike said he would provide a quiz.

 

c)      Draft of next year’s calendar

Theresa will start compiling a draft calendar based on the discussions in this meeting.

 

d)     Boater Trophy/new trophy to commemorate Robin Newlands

Robin Newlands trophy – this will be for the recipients’ contributions to the club, taking into consideration the aims of the club. 

A line drawing of the original ‘Wise Folly’ must be incorporated into its design.   JL will take on the design.

The Boater Trophy is now full up with engraved names of past recipients since 2000. MP is very welcome to keep it as he has been awarded the trophy three times since 2000.     

 

e)      Charity for the club to support in 2022

We will continue to support Momentum, the children’s charity in 2022.

 

f)       EA license/registration charges for 2022-2024 consultation and

g)      EA River Thames investment programme winter 2021-2022

EA are underfunded and subsidised by the government.  The two new EA representatives have established a good rapport with Tony Riley and the ATYC and other Thames clubs.  We look forward to seeing some noticeable improvements after the winter programme.

We think deep locks, notably Boulters, Bell Weir and Romney should always be manned during the day during the boating season.  During our cruises this year we observed that many lock sides need a thorough cleaning, especially the steps for safety.

 

h)     QUEST and updates on boats that have recently rescued/in the process of being restored

The QUEST at Dennett’s is not the Bidgood family’s QUEST which is on our database. The search goes on. There seems to be at least two ‘QUEST’s and both are ADLS.

JOLLY BRIT’s restoration is mentioned on page 23 in edition 141 of The Boater. She looked superb at the Trad Festival this year.

OLD JOLLY is gradually being done up -was in a worse condition than originally thought.

CHARMINA is looking good – she is featured in issue 142 of The Boater.

FLYING SWAN – Steve Dennett was hugely helpful in salvaging her.

 

Membership Secretaries’ report

a)      Boat database updates during the summer holiday

TS visited Liz Newlands during the summer to collect past records/data about members and boats which were created and/or kept by Robin.

Using this data TS was able to match up nearly all of the TVET/TVIN/NVET and NVIN plaque numbers with their boats and added these details to the boat database.   

 

We need a ‘change of name’ field on each boat’s page to assist anyone researching their boat. TS will liaise with Leon.

TS is also merging Boat and Owner histories as she updates each boat’s page.

 

TS is very happy to continue to update the text in the boat pages as new resource material e.g., TTBF 2021 commentaries, becomes available.

 

b)      Recent new members

We were very busy sending out welcome packs during the 2020 lockdown.

From May 2020 – end of August 2021:

10 new boats/new members

7 new members/existing TVBC boats

4 new Associate members.

 

Since September 2021:

New boat and new members: ZEPHYR (1962 Broads centre cockpit cruiser)

New owners for existing TVBC boats LITTLE ANN II and CRISTOBEL II 

N.B. CRISTOBEL II needs a plaque

 

Since last February’s meeting ‘TTBF’, ‘Boat Builder’ and ‘TVBC advert’ have been added to the online application form’s ‘How did you hear about us?’ field.

 

c)      Update on sourcing plaques

New and replacement plaques arrived in early July; all the replacement plaques have been given to their boat owners, some of them meeting up with TS at the Trad Festival to collect their plaque.  

 

Treasurer’s report

Current account balance is £27047.15 - some reimbursement monies need to be paid out which will take the balance to £25,000 when the bills have been settled.  

Membership payments are all up to date.

 

Boater Editor’s report

Jane continues to write and receive more material than is necessary for each edition and no 142 is no exception!  She has apologised to a few advertisers that’s this edition is late, but the Membership never chase her.

The revenue from the Advertisers is close to £400 and Jane is hoping that Arthur Beale’s and The Little Ship Club may sign up too which will take it to £500.

 

Jane will be asking for feedback from the membership to include in the TTBF feature in the Christmas Edition. She has already asked Sue and Lady J to write a piece from the Committee’s point of view.

 

Archivist/Deputy Editor report

MP showed us the final proof of The Boater, edition 142 via Skype. It’s a bumper issue, 64 pages long.  MP asked for all content for edition 143 to be sent to him by the end of October.

 

Webmaster’s report 

The club’s FaceBook page now has about 300 members.  

 

AOB

There was no AOB.

 

 
Theresa Scrutton
Hon. Secretary TVBC


A Tribute to Robin Newlands
President of the Thames Vintage Boat Club

 As most of you will know, our Club Founder and long-standing President Robin Newlands passed away recently.
He will be sorely missed. In fact, if it weren’t for Robin, it is unlikely that the TVBC would exist today.
Late in 1983 Paul Skerritt, who was involved with the Vintage Motorboat Club of Great Britain, called at Robin Newland's house to suggest the setting up of a Thames branch. But Robin, who had collected the names and addresses of 80 or 90 traditional boats for the Thames Traditional Boat Rally, was determined that any new club should be a Thames club in its own right. The inauguration meeting was on December 30 1983, and at the second meeting on January 20, 1984, Robin was designated Commodore, a position he held for many years before moving up to President of the club at the behest of the Membership, a position he has held up to the present.
The first ever boat to join the TVBC was in fact Robin’s launch “Wise Folly”, designated TVET 01. Happily she has recently been beautifully restored by Michael Dennett, and will be with us for many years, as a reminder of her former owner.
Robin’s quiet presence, guidance, and wise suggestions have been a feature of our club’s Committee meetings for the entire life of the club so far. Let it be said he has kept us all on course and has paid a huge part in creating the TVBC that we find today. From the beginning he was dedicated in particular to the first of the Aims of the Club: “Encourage the restoration and preservation of vintage craft” as well as the other aims. Let us honour him by keeping that aim alive, as members of the Thames Vintage Boat Club. And as a final note, many of us will miss him greatly, simply as a warm friend.

 

       The Thames Vintage Boat Club

AGM Minutes 2019

Venue:    Thames Court, Shepperton

                                                                Date:     Saturday 23rd March 2019

 

 

The AGM commenced at 4.01pm after a buffet lunch.

 

Attendees   

Steve Bil, Dilly Bil, Bob Bossine, Philip Bramwell, Pam Chart, Phillip Chart, David Cherrett, Brian Cox, David Driver, Margaret Driver,  Carol Haler, Christine Hilton, Paul Hopley, Jim Jackson, David Knight, Alain Lamens, Evelyn Lewis, John Llewellyn, Jeannine Llewellyn, Paul McCarthy, Adrian Mettem, Christine Mettem, Gillian Nahum, Liz Newlands, Robin Newlands, Michael Nowak, Jane Percival, Alex Phillips, Amanda Phillips, Mike Phillips, Moira Phillips, Catherine Pickin, Patrick Prince, Alison Pritchard, Carol Reed, Martin Reed,  Peter Scrutton, Theresa Scrutton, Brian Smethurst, Carolyn Smethurst, Malcolm Thomas, Sheila Thomas, Ed White, Heather White, Chris Wickham, Ros Wickham

Apologies received

Charlie Bil, Roger Boyland, Guy Gilks, Terry Blake, Pauline Blake, Janet Goodhead, Tony Goodhead, Barton Guthrie, Peter Harris, Sue Harris, Bill Hewitt, Magg Hewitt, Malcolm Jones, David Lister, Janine Marshall, Richard Prunier, Elaine Prunier

Welcome

On behalf of the Committee Theresa welcomed everyone to the meeting.  Some members had travelled quite a distance attend, notably Ed and Heather White from Herefordshire and Brian and Carolyn Smethurst from Wales. 

Minutes of the 2018 AGM

 

The minutes of the 2018 AGM held on Friday 23rd March 2018 at Thames Court Shepperton were approved by the members present at the 2019 AGM by a show of hands.

 

 

Commodore’s Report

 

Jane welcomed everyone and commented on the record number attending the meeting. The lunch prior to the meeting in the pleasant environment of Thames Court which is accessible to many members had contributed to the turnout.

 

Jane began by advising that Gillian Nahum had just given her information about a rally being planned for Thames boats to go across to France. She continued by mentioning the charity Momentum that the club had supported in 2018 and encouraged the attendees to dig deep into their pockets for the charity’s green collection bucket that was on display.

 

Jane has now come to the end of her second three-year term as Commodore (the first time was in 2005). She then went full circle through the nine cycle of Rear Commodore and Vice Commodore to become Commodore again in 2016.  It has been a privilege and a pleasure to have been Commodore to what has become a big and popular club, a club that she is very passionate about.  She thanked the Committee – everything the Committee does is for the membership and to further the Thames Vintage Boat Club. They all work very hard on the behalf of the members.  Jane thanked Theresa for keeping the members informed through the emails she sends out. She also thanked Peter for looking after the finances of the club; the club is in great shape and we are careful with everyone’s subscriptions to avoid wasting money. We are able amongst other things to subsidise mooring fees for rallies; not everyone is able to take advantage of this because they live too far away but unfortunately that is the nature of the club because we are more or less Thames based.  

 

Jane had done some research to find out if the club is now one of the biggest classic boat clubs in Europe, taking into account its data base.  Active membership at the present time is 214 active members paying subs, boat owners, previous boat owners and Associate members and that numbers stays mainly constant so as people give up boating for whatever reason they are replaced by new people coming into the TVBC.  The plaque works wonders on the boat – new owners often apply to because of it. This enables us to maintain the historic database which is part of our Constitution.

 

Unfortunately, this year has seen quite a few show cancellations, notably London Boat Show and Beale Park.  Jane tried very hard to get an informal rally on Beale Park lake, but the trustees were not able to accommodate. The Thames Heritage Museum at Beale Park is also unlikely to go ahead unless another venue can be found; that’s a great pity as it would have provided a perfect home for our archive of photos of Thames boats and the articles that John Llewellyn has written over the years about 33 different boat yards. We thought about having an informal rally on the bank outside Beale Park just to try and keep some presence, but the bankside is not being maintained so it would not really be a great place to stage a rally. We will have a cruise upriver after the Trad Festival like we always used to do.

 

Beaulieu Boat Jumble has also been cancelled for the first time in 35 years. Jane could see the writing on the wall during her visit to this event last year when it was half the size it used to be. There was a lack of traders purchasing selling space and a lack of public interest – it had gone frombeing a traditional boat jumble to a modern shoe shop as there was very little traditional jumble there. In stark comparison, Jane pointed out that most of the fittings for ‘Mimosa’ came from Beaulieu 25 years’ ago.

 

With so many cancellations this year, the Traditional Boat Festival should therefore be absolutely buzzing.  Jane encouraged everyone to register their boats as soon as possible for the event. She will be there in the commentary box and on the TVBC stand.  Jane will be sending out a request for help with setting up the TVBC stand and dismantling it afterwards.

 

There have been a couple of things that have been important to Jane during her time as Commodore. Firstly, raising money for Momentum, the charity for children with life limiting illnesses, whose narrowboat is moored at Shepperton Marina. Secondly, The Boater is a lot thicker than it used to be because of the number of articles that are being submitted.  Jane hopes that everyone enjoys reading it.  She has a lot of fun putting it together. Mike Phillips produces the magazine from the content she gives him; this month Jane has received lots of articles from the members about the restorations and trips on their boats which make very interesting reading.  Jane welcomed emails of suggestions for articles.

 

Jane does a lot of talks about keeping our heritage alive. Besides promoting the aims of the Thames Vintage Boat Club, she gives talks about the restoration of specific classic boats to give the audience an insight into the money and commitment that it takes to save them. She also gives talks about what it is like to be a member of the ADLS and do a return across the Channel – she has some stunning photos to illustrate her talk, taken by the navy during the last Channel crossing trip. 

 

Jane is very proud of the success of our club.  As clubs dissolve, she has noticed that some of their members, notably from the Broads, have joined the TVBC especially in the last couple of years. Our membership is spreading far and wide.  Over the last three years we have had fifty new members join.

 

Jane concluded by requesting that members keep in touch with her with regard to The Boater, 

and conveyed her best wishes to Patrick who was taking over from her as Commodore.

 

Jane Percival

.  

Honorary Secretary ’s Report

 

The final version of the TVBC calendar for 2019 has been emailed to the members. I then showed everyone the Father Thames trophy which was awarded to the TVBC for having the most members attending the ATYC Dinner and Dance at Bisham Abbey the previous Saturday. It was the first time the club had won this award. 

All three rallies, Hurley, Boveney and Cookham, have been booked for 2019. The contact details for the organisers of these events are in the Calendar if further information is required. Patrick is organising Hurley, Mike is organising Boveney and Cookham this year.  The ATYC rally to West India Dock is in the same August Bank Holiday weekend as the Cookham rally so members will have a choice of two events that weekend. ‘Lucy Ann’ will be going to the ATYC rally and we are hoping that a small flotilla of TVBC boats will accompany her to the event.

Tony Goodhead has kindly agreed to give a talk on Thursday 1st November at ‘The Bells’ in Staines about circumnavigating Great Britain in ‘St. Joan’ last year to raise funds for the RNLI and RAF 100 Charities.  It promises to be a very interesting talk. By popular request, we will be again sharing our Christmas Party with Richmond Yacht Club at their clubhouse on Eel Pie Island.

During last year’s AGM there was a discussion about proximity of venues to where our members live. Immediately after the AGM Peter created a heat map from the club’s database to illustrate where our members are sited along the Thames and elsewhere which was emailed out to everyone. The Chertsey-Shepperton area is right in the middle and it clearly shows a large cluster of members in this stretch of the Thames. We will, however, continue to explore and consider new venues to ring the changes.  We’ve just visited Bisham Abbey – we wanted Bisham Abbey for our own fitting out supper this year, but it seemed more practical to combine it with the ATYC dinner and dance.  We are also considering the Upper Thames Sailing Club for a function; this venue is currently undergoing refurbishment and we will visit it when the work has been completed.

Theresa Scrutton

Honorary Treasurer’s Report

 

Peter reported that the club made a loss of £1097.10 in 2018, the first year for several years that we have not had a surplus. The reasons for this are as follows:

 

1) The cost of printing The Boater has increased in 2018 compared to 2017.  In 2017 the cost of

two editions were recorded in the accounts, in 2018 there were four editions. The cost per edition has also increased a little due to the magazine being increased in size from 40 pages to 56. The larger size has also increased the postage cost.

 

2) Expenses were incurred to make changes to the Website database to enable the club

to comply with the GDPR regulations introduced in 2018. These changes were carried out very efficiently by Leon Phillips and at very reasonable cost.

 

3) The Annual dinner at The Runnymede Hotel was not well attended. The minimum number that the hotel will accept is 50 which, despite valiant efforts by the Secretary, we failed to achieve. Most quality venues place a minimum number of attendees on these sorts of events. Therefore, in addition to the £500 booking fee which we had to pay, we also had to pay for several places that were not taken up and therefore a significant loss was incurred.

 

It seems that the members are not very interested in attending these events as it has

become increasingly difficult to get anywhere near the minimum number required.

For that reason, and having considered Bisham Abbey ourselves for a club dinner this year, we encouraged members to attend the ATYC dinner at Bisham Abbey which requires a minimum of 80 people. 23 members including two from Greece attended. Unless there is a genuine demand, it is unlikely that we will reintroduce our own annual dinner as we cannot justify continuing to subsidise a loss‐making event every year for relatively few members.

 

Most subscriptions for this year have now been paid. Peter advised the few attending the AGM who have not yet paid that they could do so during the afternoon.  He also said that paying by Standing Order is easier for the member, and for the Treasurer to process.  Standing Order forms can be downloaded from the website or obtained by emailing the Secretary.

 

Peter Scrutton

Membership Secretary’s Report

 

I began my report by referring to four letters – ‘GDPR’ - the General Data Protection Regulation. The deadline date for ensuring the club was fully compliant with GDPR was Friday 25th May 2018. We were mostly compliant before this date and it was just a case of completing some paperwork to show precisely how we store our members’ data and what we do with it. We’ve always been security conscious about our members’ personal details thanks to our Webmaster Mike Phillips who long ago set up safeguards to ensure no one can access these details.  To comply with GDPR we basically had to state our Data Protection Policy. We also had to ensure that all the members signed a consent form to say they agreed to us storing their data, and give or not give permission to use their photos in our magazine and on the website or in any promotional material, and to be named as the owner of their boat in the Boat Database.  There were also Child Protection issues to address. By 25th May we had received back signed forms from nearly all our members. The Affiliated members, mostly boatbuilders, were virtually the only ones left on the ‘chasing list’. The boat database has been updated by Mike so only the owner’s membership number is displayed at the top of the boat’s page. The name of the owner is only stated in the ‘Boat History’ section lower down the boat’s page if the owner has given permission.

 

Peter has now created an online application form which includes all the permission options that the new members can give. This has streamlined the application process and made it less labour intensive for processing the applications of new members.  Mike has included a field on each member’s page that we tick to show that members have given their permission for us to use photos of them and their family.

 

Members can change their mind and rescind or give their permission to the club at any time.  Obviously, this can’t be done retrospectively if a photo of them is already printed in The Boater. We will not send out a renewal consent form to be signed each year – that would be a very time-consuming and expensive process.  I will send an annual reminder to everyone to advise that they have the right to change their minds at any time about how we use their data.  Obviously, we need to store members’ contact details so they can receive the magazine and emails.   

At some point in the future we hope to allow the general public access to just the boat database so they can view all our lovely boats; at the moment, it is a closed shop so only TVBC members can look at each other’s boats. If you don’t know how to do so, please email me and I will let you know how to do that. I will be sending out a message to members to check their boat page; they won’t be able to edit it them-selves, we will do that for them if they email me the amendments or further details. The more details about the boats, the better, and a good quality photo, to make the database interesting to explore.  

 

Since March 2018 a good many new boats and members have joined, and since the introduction of the online application form, we are now getting more frequent applications. I’ve got two that came through this week I’ve not yet processed, and I’m waiting for one Associate and one Full member to complete their applications.  

 

Statistics, since March 2018, under the following categories:

New boat and new member; 12 boats

Boat already on the database – new human member: 3

New Associate members: 3

Existing member with new 2nd boat: 1

 

Two new categories have arisen:

Existing member has bought existing TVBC boat: 1

Upgrading from Associate to Full member: 1

Returning member (due to Jane): 1

 

Theresa Scrutton

 

Webmaster’s report

Mike began by suggesting that commentaries prepared by TVBC skippers for the Trad Festival could be sent to Theresa to update their boat’s details in the database.

He then revealed something ‘vey secret’, the login and password to access the Boat database, that all members are entitled to know, to make life easier for the Hon Secretary. (Eventually just this part of the database will be accessible to everyone to view the boats, without the need for a password). All lower case, the login is &&&&, the password is &&&&. We don’t put these details in the Boater because the magazine goes on sale in various places such as the Trad Festival.

Mike then reminded everyone about the club’s Facebook page and encouraged them to have a look and join. A couple of new members have just been recruited via the Facebook page. It is a private page, so Mike has to ‘OK’ anyone signing up for it. Members of the page post interesting features – there are already lots of interesting postings to scroll through. 

In response to a question about what the criteria is for what is posted on the Facebook page, Mike replied that there are some instructions on the page which tell you what you can and what you can’t post, but basically anything to do with vintage boats, anything that would interest the members in the club such as adventures with the boat and advice on renovation. You can ask questions, it would be good to have some technical questions now and again as there are a number of boat builders who subscribe to the site, they may give some advice.  In response to another query, Mike confirmed that the Facebook page is not restricted to the UK and that he has people contributing who live in Australia, USA, ‘all over the world actually’. He checks them out by looking at their own Facebook pages to ensure they are genuinely interested in vintage and classic boats and likely to contribute. It would be nice to have the majority of TVBC members on board.

On the website there’s general updating going on.  You can access Peter’s joining page on the www.thamesvintageboatclub.com website via a link. If you come across anyone who wants to join the club, please refer them to the website.  The scrolling banner at the top is very pretty but is about 10 years’ old and needs updating.  Mike promises to put ‘Lady Evelyn II’’s photo on the web page. The photo archive needs updating.  There is a very large collection of Mike’s photographs going back to before the year 2000, between 8,000-10,000 photos of TVBC boats and other vintage and classic boats – Mike is going to get some outside help to update this collection and turn it into a workable database.  Organising these photos which are referenced at the moment just by numbers, will mean that we will be able to find a specific boat and all the photos taken of her in a specific year.  

There are probably about 50 boats on the database that don’t yet have photos on their pages.  When a new boat joins, Peter puts her photo on her page, but these boats who signed up in the past. One of the purposes of the club, stated on the back page of the Boater, is to keep a register of boats.  It doesn’t specifically say TVBC boats so you will find on the Boat database a very wide collection of different boats. 

Mike requested that when photos are sent in to please make sure they are high resolution; as we use these photos for the Boater magazine, they need to be high quality. If the photo is taken on an iPhone, please send a full-size version. Mike can receive anything up to 10MB.

Mike reiterated what the Membership Secretary had said that we do need members to update their boat’s entry in the Boat database. As Deputy Editor of The Boater, he also said that the magazine has been made as fat as possible and now contains 60 pages; he hoped that everyone was enjoying it. Mike looks after the layout within the magazine. the photos and the printing; he is dedicated to using the very best quality photographs in the magazine. He requested that members keep sending in articles to Jane, our fantastic Editor who does a huge amount for every issue, it is better to have too much than too little.

Mike concluded by acknowledging the work that Committee puts into running the club, including the Hon Secretary’s input.   

Mike Phillips

There then followed the formal election of the 2019 Committee. Per the Constitution, having been nominated and seconded before the meeting, this was done by a show of hands for each officer and member. 

Jane has agreed to be Rear Commodore for a year.  If anyone is co-opted onto the committee during the year, they have the opportunity of taking on this role in 2020. 

 

Election of Flag Officers and Committee

 

PRESIDENT: Robin Newlands (founder member of The Thames Vintage Boat Club)

 

The following were elected for the 2019 committee having been approved by the floor during the AGM.

 

EX OFFICIO MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE – 1st year of three-year cycle

 

FLAG OFFICERS

Proposed by

Seconded by

COMMODORE

Patrick Prince

Pam Chart

Peter Scrutton

VICE COMMODORE

David Lister MBE

Jane Percival

Adrian Mettem

REAR COMMODORE

Standing in for one year

Jane Percival

Unanimously agreed by the floor during

the AGM as no-one is currently available

to take on this role.

HONORARY SECRETARY

Theresa Scrutton

David Lister MBE

David Knight

HONORARY TREASURER

Peter Scrutton

David Knight

Adrian Mettem

MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY

(joint)

Theresa Scrutton

Peter Scrutton

John Llewellyn

Adrian Mettem

 

THE COMMITTEE OF MANAGEMENT (all re-elected at the AGM):  

Pam Chart, Phillip Chart, David Knight, John Llewellyn, Jane Percival (Boater Editor),

Mike Phillips (Webmaster, Deputy Editor and Archivist)

 

COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Proposed by

Seconded by

Webmaster

Boater Deputy Editor

Archivist

Mike Phillips

Theresa Scrutton

Jane Percival

Boater Editor

Jane Percival

Pam Chart

Phillip Chart

 

Pam Chart

Jane Percival

Adrian Mettem

 

Phillip Chart

David Lister MBE

David Knight

 

John Llewellyn

Pam Chart

Patrick Prince

 

David Knight

Theresa Scrutton

Jane Percival

Per the Constitution, there are 3 vacant spaces on the Committee – it’s not too late

 to volunteer to come on the committee as a co-opted member.  

 

Adrian Mettem has had to step down from the committee.  We thanked Adrian for his contribution over the past two years and hoped that he would continue to assist with sourcing the new plaques. Everyone gave Adrian a big round of applause.

 

We have some vacant spaces on the committee so if anyone would like to be co-opted on or

nominate anybody, although the deadline has now passed, please let the committee know. It’s not too late to join us.  

 

Patrick then received the Commodore’s flag from Jane.  Patrick gave Theresa his Vice commodore flag to give to David Lister who was unable to attend the AGM. Jane already has the Rear Commodore flag.

 

There was no AOB as no-one had submitted items to the Hon Secretary 14 days before the date

of the AGM.

 

Patrick then made his first speech as the new Commodore of the Thames Vintage Boat Club.

 

The new Commodore’s speech

Patrick joined the TVBC in the summer of 2000 as an Associate member, having restored a boat with a substantial quantity of that old boating swear word ‘marine ply’ in it. He would probably have laughed if someone had said then that he would have the honour of being Commodore of this club. About four years’ later, Patrick was asked if he would like to join the committee to which he replied that he was only an Associate member. The then Commodore, Grant Kinnaird, said, ‘No you’re not, you’re a Full member’ which was news to Patrick.

 

Patrick clearly remembers the pride and pleasure he felt 6 years’ ago when he was asked to be Rear Commodore by fellow committee members that he had come to respect and admire enormously. So, having ‘staggered up the ladder of seniority’ here he is, about to step into the boots vacated by Jane. Patrick has a great challenge ahead of him to step up to the mark set by Jane’s hard work and dedication coupled with her natural organisation capabilities. Supported by the committee, the club will continue to be run in the manner to which it has become accustomed.

 

Patrick started ‘mucking about with boats’ when he was a teenager. He joined 2nd Kingston Sea Scouts where he learnt to row, canoe and sail and tie knots. For 16 years he was a chef in the Air Force, then after demobilisation he joined Air Canada. He found himself ‘odd-jobbing’ in Nicholl’s boat yard for Ian McDougall and met Mark Stanley who was also operating there, who advised Patrick when he was restoring his boat. Patrick then started cruising with the Dunkirk Little Ships, crewing for Raymond Baxter on ‘L’Orage’ and in more recent times he has been crewing on ‘Janthea’.   

 

About thirty years’ ago, Patrick was adopted by ‘Miss Coquette’; the plan was to restore her over 8 years, and she has given Patrick 20 years’ of boating pleasure. Patrick signed her up for the Trad Boat rally and was encouraged to enter her for the Freebody trophy which he won. 

 

Patrick is looking forward to working with Jane, David as Vice, Theresa and Peter, John Llewellyn, David Knight, Pam and Phillip, and taking this fabulous club and beautiful boats forward on our long voyage of restoration, preservation and enjoyment.

 

Patrick Prince

 

 

The Annual Awards were then presented.

 

The Tony Saunders Attendance Trophy for 2018 - Jim Jackson and Christine Hilton

 The John Mauger Trophy for “Best Amateur Restoration” - Alex and Amanda Phillips with ‘Nesta’

Boat Handling Trophy for “Most skilful boat handling’ - Ed White with ‘Lemara’

The Silver Salver: for the best TVBC boat of the year: ‘Gelyce’ 

The Silver Salver was presented to Evelyn Lewis on behalf of her owner     

 

The following are award winners that could not attend the AGM

Illuminated Cruise Trophy: “Best TVBC presentation in the Trad Festival 2018” – Andy Jenkinson and ‘Glitterwake’ 

The Longest Cruise:  Tony Goodhead and ‘St. Joan’ who circumnavigated the UK, raising funds       for the RNLI and RAF100 Charities.

Best new TVBC boat at the Trad Rally: ‘Lady Emma’ owned by Simon McMurtrie  

 

Skittles champions 2019: Karen and David Guy (‘Harmonie 3’)

 

There followed a presentation to Jane Percival in recognition of the service she has given the Thames Vintage Boat Club over the past nine years as Rear Commodore, Vice Commodore and Commodore and as the Boater Editor.

 

The meeting was closed by the Commodore, Patrick Prince at 5.15 pm.

Theresa Scrutton
Hon Secretary
8th April 2019

                                                                                                                                             


                                        

New Club Regalia!:p>

A new range of crew wear for the membership has long been overdue and the inspiration for the new range came about after buying merchandise at the Trad Rally, supplied and embroidered by "Shipshape" Their range of quality clothing- including "Regatta" and "Gildan" - will provide us with a core range of hardwearing, practical boating attire, embroidered with our latest logo, that will further our promotional efforts of the TVBC whenever we are seen out on the water (or in a watering hole!)

Although the cream & brown club colours for Burgees, "The Boater" magazine and other stationery remains appropriate, it has not proved to be very popular or practical, especially as outer garments. I still have large stocks of the cream colour polo shirts that remain unsold and they are a devil to wash after a BBQ! We have therefore opted for navy blue outer garments and retained a cream polo shirt, but a deeper colour that will blend in with our new, heavy brushed cotton cap.

The range available enables us to expand and make changes as demand dictates and the intention is to place an order on a monthly basis and distribute the orders at club events or by post, as required. Our supplier can embroider almost anything, so we have introduced a club tie in silk and a canvas holdall for those weekends at club rallies.

The merchandise includes the club logo and is competitively priced in comparison to fellow yacht clubs using quality brands. Post & packing charges will be kept to a minimum, averaging £3.60 for a parcel containing a fleece and a burgee. An order form is available below to enable new and existing members to combine their clothing, burgee and plaque order all together.

We can even introduce cut glass Champagne flutes for those lazy afternoons at the Trad Rally!

So please,  have a browse and let me know what you think. Email me at:  janepercival@icloud.com

For the Illustrated Catalogue and Order Form - Click Here


To Access the new TVBC Database of Club Boats

To access the new database containing details of all TVBC Boats you must be a paid-up TVBC Member. Please email me, the Webmaster, at mike@phillipsweb.co.uk and I will send you a password. Many boats have large photos, and we are working to eventually have photos for all. UPDATE: The latest "Boater" magazine has the password to enable access for all members.
 

Annual Membership Fees

Annual Membership Fees are due by 15th of January of each year and are payable by
  (1) a Standing Order (preferred) - Standing Order forms are available for download here and here, and will commence payments on 15th January 2013 if sent off in time.
  (2)  a Bank Transfer to the club account: Sort Code 40-38-04 Account number 31380656 (Label it TVBC Annual Fee)
  (3)  a cheque made payable to "TVBC" posted to: The Treasurer, Peter Scrutton, 12 Ferndale Avenue, Chertsey, Surrey, KT16 9RB
Annual Membership Fees are £20 for Associate Members (who do not own a qualifying vintage boat) and £30 for Full Members and what were formerly classed as Family Members (now included under the umbrella title of Full Members)Full membership covers all family members living under the same roof (such as husband, wife and children).
Please make life easy for our Hon. Treasurer by paying on time!